Tuesday, March 27, 2012

creating a user stored proc

I'm running mssql 2005. And any stored procedure I create in the master database gets created as system procedures since recently. I have created procs in the master database as user procs previously. As sp_MS_upd_sysobj_category is not supported in mssql 2005, does anyone know why this is happening.. or how I can rectify it?

ThanksCan you post a repro with procedure you are trying to create?|||

there's nothing really special about the proc.. Any proc I create becomes a system proc in the mster db...

e.g.

CREATE PROCEDURE test

AS

BEGIN

print 'a'

END

GO

will behave like this.. I don't think this has anything to do with the actual proc I'm trying to use...

Thanks..

|||if you want to create the system stored procedure then use master and create your procedure started with sp_abc other wise create your sp on your desired database.|||There is no supported way to do this in SQL Server 2005. We are considering adding such features that will allow you to deploy SPs in one location and use it in context of multiple databases. For now, you will have to create the SP in each database. For admin type of SPs, you could use dynamic SQL within the SP.|||

I don't actually want to create system procs.. I want to create this proc in the master database and do not want it to be a system proc.. just a normal user proc.. I was able to do so since recently..But I think some thing has gone wrong and now when ever I create a proc, it gets created as a system proc... I did run the sp_MS_upd_sysobj_category with 2 but I understand that it's obsolete now...Any idea how I can turn this off? or atleast how this may have happened?

|||The feature I talked about will allow user SPs to behave like system SPs in terms of resolving object names in context of the db in which the SP is being executed. Anyway, for your problem I am not sure what can be done. The reason why we don't document certain system SPs is because it is for internal use and has severe implications if used incorrectly. I don't know if sp_MS_upd_sysobj_category code has changed in SQL Server 2005 or if it is some other SP call you did. But it looks like you will have to uninstall and install SQL Server or restore master from a last clean backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment