Thursday, March 29, 2012

Creating an Alias for a (non-default) SQL Server 2005 Instance

I am trying to create an alias for a particular SQL Server 2005
Instance.
I've tried doing this in the host file but this was unsucessful
because all the host file seems to do is give you an IP address for
the required server (not the acutal SQL instance).
How do I go about setting up the alias correctly, do I need to use DNS
or something like that?
The alias is fixed and of the form "dbsrvMyDatabase"
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Use cliconfg.exe.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
<charlieopenshaw@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1178272012.359623.8200@.y80g2000hsf.googlegrou ps.com...
>I am trying to create an alias for a particular SQL Server 2005
> Instance.
> I've tried doing this in the host file but this was unsucessful
> because all the host file seems to do is give you an IP address for
> the required server (not the acutal SQL instance).
> How do I go about setting up the alias correctly, do I need to use DNS
> or something like that?
> The alias is fixed and of the form "dbsrvMyDatabase"
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
|||Tibor,
Thanks, that worked a treat.
I went to Alias > Add...
Selected TCP/IP, entered the Server Alias, Server name, checked
Dynamically determine port and entered my port number.
I had to get my port number setting from:
SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server 2005 Network
Configuration > TCP/IP > TCP/IP Properties > IP Addresses > TCP
Dynamic Ports
Charlie
On 4 May, 11:40, "Tibor Karaszi"
<tibor_please.no.email_kara...@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote:
> Usecliconfg.exe.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVPhttp://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asphttp://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
> <charlieopens...@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1178272012.359623.8200@.y80g2000hsf.googlegrou ps.com...
>
>
>
>
> - Show quoted text -
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment